Monday, November 12, 2012

The Squarest Peg


 


God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them.

--Hebrews 6:10

 

          When my husband retired, we knew we didn’t want to spend our “golden years” in rocking chairs on the front porch, although beach chairs by the gulf sounded appealing.  We both felt that God had something else planned for us, and we waited with great excitement to see what that something would be. So, like impatient children begging for a trip to Disneyland, we pestered God with our question, “Where can you use us, Lord?” 

 

          We have been team members on mission trips that took us around the world.  Don, to Africa, and me, to Burma and Thailand.  We’ve traveled together to Mexico several times.  But where would He send us now?  Would it be southeast Asia?  Kenya? Back to Thailand?  I just knew it would be some place exotic and glamorous.  I pictured it in my mind:  Our friends would throw us a wonderful going away bash. They’d “oooh” and “aaah” about our amazing faith and bravery in leaving our home behind and traveling off to some foreign land to serve.

 

          As I re-read that last paragraph, I’m so ashamed of myself. Obviously, my priority was not service to God, but service to my own ego. Yet God still chose to use us—not on some Pacific island or Mongolian mountain—but right here in Atlanta.  He made a place for us to serve at Jesus Place Inner City Mission, an organization that ministers to the physical and spiritual needs of the city’s homeless.

 

          Now, this is not a pretty ministry.  There is no glamour here.  The men who come to us are usually hungry, dirty, and weary.  Most are living in a city-run shelter, some are living on the streets.  Many have spent time in prison.  Some are on drugs or have problems with alcohol.  They have no money, and almost no hope.  The staff and volunteers at Jesus Place may be the only light they see all week.  And that’s a tough job.

 
Click on the logo to visit the website. 

          I can’t tell you how far out of my comfort zone this ministry has dragged me.  And ‘dragged’ is exactly the right word.  Still hoping for one of those aesthetically pleasing missions, I resisted Jesus Place with my entire being.  Even today, seven years later, I still yearn for the more glamorous Masai Mara village.  But Jesus Place is where He’s decided I should be.

 

          Every day I see growth in my husband Don because of his work there.  I can see that this is a perfect ministry for him.  He is such a servant, and caring for the needs of these men uses his spiritual gifts in ways I couldn’t even imagine.  But me?  I just don’t see it.  I’m literally a square peg in a round whole.
 

 

          And maybe that’s the point.  Maybe He’s using this ministry to round off those square edges of mine, to make me a humble…HUMBLE…and useful tool in His hands.  The sanding is what hurts.  These splinters are painful!

 

          So, I try to remain open and teachable, patiently waiting to see what plans He has for us in this season of our lives.  I remind myself that it’s a privilege to be serving the Lord in this place, to have the opportunity to be a light in this very dark city.  He chose this place for me, and He chose ME for this place. 

 

          Father, sand these rough corners off of me.  Use me as You will, to serve those who may never have another opportunity to experience Your love.  Let me be your hands and heart in this community as You teach me and mold me into the servant You want me to be.

 

*

         
 
I have recently published "Why A Star?", a student's guide to the Christmas story. The book contains 10 lessons for children, ages 10 to 14. It is priced at $4.99. All proceeds from the sale of this book go to support the work of Jesus Place. Please click on the book below to order your copy. Thank you for helping to support this vital work!
                                                 
                                                 

1 comment:

  1. Holly,
    I truly admire you & Don for serving in this capacity. I believe it takes a special person to do this type of missions work. I pray God's blessings upon you both.

    Edwina

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment!